wordplay, sexism and denial

Brian King brian.w.king at VUW.AC.NZ
Mon Jul 27 22:25:01 UTC 2009

This is a curly one. I would have thought attention could be paid to such
denials in order to reveal the hegemonic work that they are doing. By making
hegemonic ideologies overt rather than covert, hegemony can be troubled. Or
maybe that's too obvious.

Then again, perhaps Amy has a point, in that the denials are an extension of
the hegemony behind the sexist expressions. People who gain from hegemony
seldom feel powerful, and many of us are unlikely to be convinced by
arguments that attempt to reveal that power. Perhaps, as Butler argues,
resignifying the language used in 'son of a' constructions might be a more
effective strategy in the long term. If more of us said 'son of a bastard' the
point (thought covert) might be more effectively made.