wordplay, sexism and denial

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Mon Jul 27 23:25:57 UTC 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Brian King wrote:

> This is a curly one. I would have thought attention could be paid
> to such
> denials in order to reveal the hegemonic work that they are doing.
> By making
> hegemonic ideologies overt rather than covert, hegemony can be
> troubled. Or
> maybe that's too obvious.

It doesn't hurt to do that.
It's likely not to be sufficient.
Seeing a wide range of seemingly innocent and mundane concrete
examples by which hegemony works, many of which are not obviously
connected to each other, and some of which people are quite
emotionally attached to, is a way of chipping away at people's
resistance to acknowledging sexism (racism, etc.) in a single
example. I work this way in my class. I think a resister needs to
reach a saturation point with both examples, as well as an
understanding of the social mechanism (hegemony), before they begin
to reconsider (assuming they're somewhat open minded).  I think
realizing the ordinariness of how social control works has to be a
central insight in these discussions, as well as the transparency of
language.

> Then again, perhaps Amy has a point, in that the denials are an
> extension of
> the hegemony behind the sexist expressions.

yes, and denials are not proof of much.
Because there's real evidence that hegemony works below our level of
awareness, despite what we think and deny. Both features of the
process make social control effective: unconsciousness, and denial.

What might eliminate denial, or get our attention, is our realization
that we are acting in opposition to our professed values, when we
thought we were acting in accord with them.

In addition, making the case that any SINGLE instance, or class of
examples, is sexist
can take quite a bit of connecting the dots to show the far more
extensive and deep deep pattern of...or stance toward..., e.g.,
misogeny, that's present in culture and language use.  If individuals
have not made those connections, (and if they have something to lose
by admitting them), we can expect denial and resistance.