new book: Talking Young Femininities

Pia Pichler p.pichler at GOLD.AC.UK
Mon Jun 22 17:20:30 UTC 2009

Dear IGALA colleagues,

Here is some information about my new monograph, Talking Young
Femininities, recently published with Palgrave Macmillan. I hope you will
find it useful.

Pia

NEW PUBLICATION

Talking Young Femininities
Pichler, Pia
Palgrave Macmillan (2009)

ISBN-10: 0230013287
ISBN-13: 978-0230013285
http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=276569

Talking Young Femininities explores the spontaneous talk of adolescent
British girls from different socio-cultural backgrounds, including girls
from a prestigious private school, the British Bangladeshi community and
the East End in London. The book examines different discursive practices
and identities which the young women negotiate in their talk and examines
the interactive processes of these negotiations.

• What do young British women talk about with their friends?
• How do gender and (adolescent) identity interact with social class and
ethnicity?
• How do adolescent girls position themselves in relation to sexual
experiences, practices and identities?
• What is the relationship between the girls’ local positions and
larger-scale socio-cultural norms or identity categories?
• In what way can linguistic discourse analysis build on and contribute to
cross-disciplinary research on gender and adolescent identity?

These questions are explored on the basis of the girls’ conversations
about friends, friendships, boys, parents, music, drugs, school, sex,
(arranged) marriage and social class.