Institutions which teach Language and Gender

jariah mohd jan apdrjar at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 30 11:43:26 UTC 2009

Dear Jane,

How have you been. Just read your message and I would like to inform you that I have been teaching the Language and Gender course at the undergraduate and postgraduate level since 2000 at the Faculty of Languages and Linguistics, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA. Let me know if there's anything else that you need to know. I am also going to teach a new course on Language and Power in 2010.
Take care.
Warm regards,

Jar

Assoc. Prof. Dr Hajjah Jariah Mohd Jan
Department of English Language
Faculty of Languages and Linguistics
University of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

Tel: 03-79673057
Fax: 03-79579707
E-mail: apdrjar at yahoo.com / jariah at um.edu.my

From: Sunderland, Jane <j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK>
Subject: [GALA-L] Institutions which teach Language and Gender
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 11:55 PM

Dear GALA-L members

I’m part of an editorial team putting forward a proposal for an edited collection on language and gender (yes, another!). As usual, the publishers want to know the potential market, so I have been trying to put together a list of academic institutions (worldwide) which teach language and gender.

Then it occurred to me that such a resource might be of use to others in a similar situation. (Or: perhaps one exists, and I don’t know about it. Please let me know if you do.)

So, if your institution teaches language and gender as a course or module (i.e. called something like ‘Gender and language’ or ‘Discourse and gender’ or ‘Language and identity: class, gender, ethnicity’), could you please let me (*not* the List) know?

Could you also let me know whether this is at undergraduate or (post)graduate level?

I am interested in courses/modules or whole degree programmes (e.g. ‘MA in Gender and Language’). I am not interested in courses/modules which happen to include one unit on gender and language.

I undertake to collate whatever I get and post it on the IGALA website, as a resource.

Best wishes to all

Jane Sunderland