new book: Gender and Spoken Interaction

Pia Pichler p.pichler at GOLD.AC.UK
Wed Mar 11 17:27:41 UTC 2009

Dear IGALA colleagues,

Here is some information about our new book, Gender and Spoken
Interaction, recently published with Palgrave Macmillan. We hope you will
find it useful.

Pia & Eva

NEW PUBLICATION

Gender & Spoken Interaction.
Eds. Pichler, Pia and Eppler, Eva
Palgrave Macmillan (2009)

ISBN-13:978-0-230-57402-1 hardback
ISBN-10:0-230-57402-5 hardback
http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?PID=281506

Gender and Spoken Interaction presents a diverse collection of gender
research with an exclusive focus on spoken interaction. It explores how
gender is reflected and accomplished in relation to other situational and
larger-scale sociocultural practices, identities and structures.
Contributors present a wide range of lively data from private as well as
institutional contexts, produced by speakers across all life stages and
different ethnic, social, national and linguistic backgrounds, including
British Asian undergraduates, New Zealand company directors, and Austrian
Jewish refugees.

Contents:

Notes on Contributors

Foreword
Joanna Thornborrow

Editors’ preface: overview of chapters
Pia Pichler, Eva Eppler

1.Theoretical issues for the study of gender and spoken interaction
Deborah Cameron

2. Doing gender against the odds: a sociolinguistic analysis of
educational discourse
Joan Swann

3. Airhostess legs and jealous husbands: explorations of gender and
heterosexuality in 10-11 year-olds’ conversations
Janet Maybin

4. Now you see me, now you don’t: adolescents exploring deviant positions
Anthea Irwin

5. ‘All I’ve gotta do is wank on about some bollocky poem’: cool and
socially aware positions in the talk of private school girls
Pia Pichler

6. ‘A group of lads, innit?’ Performances of laddish masculinity in
British Higher Education
Siân Preece

7. Boys’ talk: Hindi, moustaches, and masculinity in New Delhi
Kira Hall

8. It’s a blokes’ thing’ – gender, occupational roles and talk in the
workplace
Susan S. McRae

9. Men, masculinities and leadership: different discourse styles at work
Janet Holmes

10. Four women, two codes and one (crowded) floor: the joint construction
of a bilingual collaborative floor
Eva Eppler