Language and Gender in African Contexts Conference

Sunderland, Jane j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Tue Nov 17 21:36:08 UTC 2009

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON LANGUAGE AND GENDER IN AFRICAN CONTEXTS

CALL FOR PAPERS

DATE: 13 – 15 APRIL, 2010

VENUE:

CONFERENCE CENTRE, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE, NIGERIA

We are pleased to invite you to attend the International Conference on Language and Gender in African Contexts scheduled to take place at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, from 13-15 April, 2010. Similar events on this general theme have taken place at the University of Leeds, U.K., City University, London, U.K., University of Botswana, Botswana, and the University of Dschang, Dschang, Cameroon. The Obafemi Awolowo University conference is planned to be the final in the series.

The main purpose of the conference is to provide an opportunity for those researching and teaching in the area of language and gender, directly or indirectly, to share their ideas and experiences, and
to build up a focus on Africa in the field of language and gender study. We hope to enhance participants' understanding of language and gender issues in general in terms of language and language use in Africa. We also plan to collect some data for a research project that may be of interest to us all.

Lastly, we hope to stimulate interdisciplinary work among linguists and other colleagues in the social sciences.

The deadline for the submission of abstracts is 12 February, 2009, and these are to be sent to any or both of the following email addresses: <yyusuf at oauife.edu.ng>, < magbaje at oauife.edu.ng>.

The organisers of the conference are:

Professor Yisa K. Yusuf, Department of English,
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Tel: +234 803 402 8057
Email: yyusuf at oauife.edu.ng

Dr Jane Sunderland, Department of Linguistics and English Language,
Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YT, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 (0)1524 593037

Email: j.sunderland at lancaster.ac.uk

Dr Lem Lilian Atanga,
Department of African Studies, University of Dschang,
Dschang, Cameroon.

Tel:  00237 74 15 04 85. Email: l.l.atanga at yahoo.com

Dr. Sibonile Ellece,
Department of English,
University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana.

Email: elleces at mopipi.ub.bw

 Some small within-Africa travel bursaries will be available for presenters.

For further details, please contact
any of the above-listed or

Mr. Murtala O. Agbaje, Faculty Secretary,
Faculty of Arts,
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.

Tel.: +234 803 367 9438.

Email: magbaje at oauife.edu.ng

Professor
Yisa K. Yusuf