Reference needed

Valentina orisha4 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 18 02:28:01 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to all who answered my query. It seems that the example came from Tannen's book, "You Just Don't Understand." However, in the book she does not present any transcript for it, so I suppose I must have dreamed them at some point.

Ochs also has a similar example, see cite below.

Best,

Valentina Pagliai
CUNY Queens College

----- Original Message ----
From: Amy Sheldon <asheldon at UMN.EDU>
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: Wed, January 13, 2010 4:16:20 PM
Subject: Re: [GALA-L] Reference needed

Hello Valentina,

As I recall, the excerpt here about the daycare payment conundrum is a similar example, whether or not it is the one you're thinking of:

1996 Ochs, E. & Taylor, C. "'The father knows best' dynamic in family dinner narratives" in _Gender articulated: Language and the socially constructed self_

A pdf is at Elinor Ochs' website at UCLA.

Amy Sheldon
U of Minnesota