Wanted: a suitable article/chapter for 17 year olds

Sunderland, Jane j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Thu Mar 25 21:53:02 UTC 2010

Dear all

Another question from me, I'm afraid:

I've been asked to run a seminar with some 17 year olds at a local
girls' school, to give them a flavour of what 'doing English' will be
like at University.  This will be on some aspect of language and gender.
I would like to pitch it at first year University level (they're very
able girls).

I need to set them something to read (an article or chapter from an
edited collection) a week before. I would be like this to be up to date,
but at the same time accessible (and not too long).  Any suggestions?

Please respond to me (j.sunderland at lancs.ac.uk) and not the whole List.

Best wishes to all

Jane

PS Thanks to all those who kindly sent references for the topic of
'gender, language and the body'. I'll arrange for this to be a Resource
on the IGALA website. In the meantime, if anyone would like it urgently,
please get in touch (again, with me directly).