TOC Sargasso, Linguistic Explorations of Gender & Sexuality

g kansai gkansai at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 6 13:46:15 UTC 2010

Dear IGALA members,
I would like to share the TOC for the most recent issue of the journal Sargasso, Linguistic Explorations of Gender & Sexuality. Please find it below.  Sargasso is a Caribbean Studies journal featuring work in the Humanities.  It is published at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras.
Thank you,
Don E. WalicekSargasso Editor
http://humanidades.uprrp.edu/ingles/pubs/sargasso.htm

INTRODUCTION, Don E. Walicek and Susanne Muhleisen
POETRYRosanna Raymond, "Dreaming of Cannibals or A Well-Exercised Consumption in the Name of Science."
Mbala, "wud boom" and "dj lovesong"
Philip Rademaker"Mi Lengua Papiamentu""Mi Lengua Papiamentu" (translation in Spanish) by Lucille Berry Haseth
ESSAYSSusanne Muhleisen and Don E. Walicek "Language and Gender in the Caribbean: An Overview"
Betinna Migge"Language, Ideology, and Women's Identities in the Eastern Maroon Community"
Elizabeth Grace Winkler"A Gender-based Analysis of Discourse Markers in Limonese Creole"
Peter Snow"Indexing Desire: Men's Talk and the Construction of Sexual Subjectivities in a Panamanian Creole Community"
Nickesha T. Dawkins"Gender-based Vowel Use in Jamaican Dancehall Lyrics"
Miriam Myerhoff"Men Argue, but the Women duz Trace: Gender and Language Variation in Bequia (St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
JUXTAPOSITIONSMervyn Alleyne"Gender Structures and Gender Bias in Caribbean Language and Society"
Susanne MuhleisenLanguage, Gender, and Sexuality: Different Voices, Different Views (short interviews with Gabriella Jamela Hossein, Thomas Glave, Lise Winer, Andre Che Sherriah, and Lawrence La Fountain Stokes)
POETRYMarcia Reid Chambers (selections in Limonese Creole and English)"Imuoshan""Emotion"
"Bad to Wos""Bad to Worse"
"Mi and Mi""Me and Me"
Sharif El Gammal Ortiz"El Morro and the Kah 'bah"
Zhuang Yisa"The Scent of Love"
REVIEWSKatherine MirandaMolly and the Muslim Stick by David Dabydeen
Margarita CastromanThe Latino/a Canon and the Emergence of Post-Sixties Literature by Raphael Dalleo and Elena Machado Saez
Eva Villalon SolerBaneras, Women Transforming the Banana Unions of Latin America by Dana Frank
Rafael Ortiz SanoguetOur Caribbean, edited by Thomas Glave
Mae TeitelbaumDaddy Sharpe: A Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Samuel Sharpe by Fred W. Kennedy
Umberto AnsaldoThe Handbook of Pidgin and Creole Studies, edited by Sylvia Kouwenberg and John Singler
Elidio La Torre LagaresCaribbean Blues and Love's Genealogy by Dannabang Kuwabong

> Dear IGALA members,

> The following books have been selected for the shortlist for the IGALA Book Prize 2010. The winning book will be announced within the next few weeks and awarded at the IGALA conference in Tokyo in 2010. The winning book is allowed to use the IGALA logo on
 its cover and a statement that it is the winner of the IGALA Book prize 2010.

> Short list

> Niko Besnier: Gossip and the Everyday Production of Politics

> Pia Pichler: Talking Young Femininities

> Rosalind Gill: Gender and the Media

> Long List

> Harrington, K; Litosseliti, L; Sauntso! n, H; Sunderland, J. (Eds) Gender and Language Research Methodologies

> Paul Baker: Sexed Texts; Language, Gender and Sexuality

> Allyson Jule: A Beginner's Guide to Language and Gender

> Sara Mills: Language and Sexism

> Harold Castenada-Pena Masculinities and Femininities Go to Preschool

> Julia Menard-Warwick: Gendered Identities and Immigrant Language Learning

> Throsby and Alexander: Gender and Interpersonal Violence: Language, Action and Representation

> Thanks very much to Pat Griffin and Laurel Kamada who have approached publishers for review copies of books published in the field and have selected reviewers for these books. Pat then handled the organising of the reviews meticulously. Thanks are due to
 all of those people who kindly reviewed the books for the prize.

> If you have published a book recently which you would like to be submitted for the IGALA Book Prize, send me details of the bo! ok and approach your publisher to see if they will agree to submit it (we ask publishers to send us three copies of the book and
 to pay us a fee to cover administrative charges).

> Best wishes

> Sara Mills

Get it now.