IGALA ‘Media Communications’ Policy

Litosseliti, Evangelia L.Litosseliti at CITY.AC.UK
Sun Oct 10 20:41:07 UTC 2010

IGALA ‘Media Communications’ Policy - Reminder

Are you a paid up member of IGALA?
Have you thought about writing, as a member of IGALA, to your local/national or international press or other organisations on issues pertaining to language, gender and sexuality (e.g. responding to potentially sexist use of language/ image/ policy; contributing to a gender, language and sexuality debate, etc.)?

This is just a reminder (especially following some of the discussions we have had with members during our last IGALA conference in Japan) that there is a procedure in our organisation for doing this. You will find it on the IGALA website, and also pasted below.

Thank you for supporting IGALA.

Lia Litosseliti (on behalf of the Advisory Board)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IGALA ‘Media Communications’ Policy

Background

One of the goals of IGALA is to establish a visible political role and a public voice on issues pertaining to language, gender and sexuality, outside the borders of the organisation.

Achieving this goal is likely to:
• increase public interest in both the language and gender field and the organisation
• allow the organisation to contribute to public debates on these issues (outside IGALA web-lists and conferences)
• increase the ‘internationalisation’ of IGALA and allow members who cannot attend IGALA conferences play an active role in the organisation, but from within their own geographical/linguistic/sociocultural contexts

Our policy

A. IGALA members are invited to:
(1) write to their local/national or international press on issues pertaining to language, gender and sexuality, and to sign themselves ‘Member of International Gender and Language Association (IGALA)’
or
(2) direct their letters on such issues via the representatives for Media Communications (see below), if they so prefer

Caveat:
copies of such letters (hard or electronic) should first be
a) approved by the IGALA President and the IGALA Secretary
b) seen by the IGALA Executive/Advisory Committee, including at least one of the representatives for Media Communications
Following the above
a) the IGALA webweaver will include such letters on the IGALA website
b) the Secretary will report on these communications, and any related responses or outcomes, at each Executive/Advisory committee meeting

(3) be alert to debates surrounding language, gender and sexuality to which we could provide a considered submission, for which views of the entire membership would be solicited, and which would need to be approved by the Executive/Advisory committee (by vote if necessary)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For information on becoming a member of IGALA, if you are not already, please go to:
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/organisations/igala/Index.html

Dr Lia Litosseliti
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Department of Language and Communication Science
City University
Northampton Square
London EC1V 0HB
UK