Post at Sheffield Hallam University

Mills, Sara S.L.Mills at SHU.AC.UK
Thu Jun 14 09:33:40 UTC 2012

Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in English Language

Application Address: www.inspired-thinking.com/faculties/development-society
Location: Sheffield
Contract type: Full time
Contract term: Permanent
Faculty of Development and Society
Department of Humanities
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in English Language
Permanent
£31,020 to £45,486 per annum, dependent on experience
Vacancy Reference DS 5184/11
Closing Date 27 June 2012 at 12 noon
At Sheffield Hallam, new ideas are given life and nurtured in an environment where we go above and beyond to encourage and support original thinkers. Committed to building on our long-standing record of academic excellence and success, we believe in constantly improving the quality of our teaching, learning and research to deliver a student experience focused on education for employment.
We take a holistic approach to the student experience, aligning our teaching with high-quality learning support and the very best of facilities. Building on this approach you will contribute to curriculum development and delivery, and other forms of scholarly activity as part of a multi-disciplinary team. You will also design and deliver innovative, high quality and challenging learning experiences, which equip your students with the skills, knowledge and attributes required by employers.
We want to hear from you if you are vitally engaged with your subject areas through research, scholarship, or professional practice, and capable of generating that enthusiasm and commitment in our students. Your ability to inspire and motivate, and to connect with a wide range of people will enable you to engage with both your students and with relevant business and professional environments to promote student learning in a real world context. You will also need the organisational skills to manage conflicting demands and meet deadlines.
You must have a PhD in English Language or Linguistics (or be close to completion) as well as a good honours degree. This should be supported by a well-developed knowledge and understanding of English language and linguistics, particularly sociolinguistics, discourse analysis and/or literary linguistics. You should also have some experience of teaching English language and linguistics in higher education.
Job share applicants welcome
To find out more about the wide range of academic posts we are currently recruiting to, please visit www.inspired-thinking.com/faculties/development-society