Fwd - [CLHLWR] News and Events from The Women's Library - bicycling to suffrage events

Chris chris.trundles at TISCALI.CO.UK
Sat May 26 21:05:26 UTC 2012

forwarding for wider info - cheers - Chris
The Women's Library

Protect our History: Save The Women's Library

The Women's Library is seeking a new home. On 14
March, London Metropolitan University's Board of
Governors announced that they will be seeking a
new home, custodian or sponsor by December 2012.
The campaign to ensure the best possible future
for The Women's Library has been supported not
only by our users, but by a number of
high-profile advocates, all with a vested
interest in seeing the Library saved. There has
also been an overwhelming response in the media.
More information is available on our campaign
<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary/support-us/stwlpage.cfm>page

The support we have received since the
announcement has been truly heart warming and we
would like to say a big thank you to all our
supporters. If you haven't already done so,
please do follow and 'Like' the Library on
<http://www.facebook.com/thewomenslibrary>Facebook
and follow on <http://twitter.com/#!/womenslibrary>Twitter

Please view the
<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary/whats-on/events/home.cfm>full
events calender for further details of talks,
walks, guided tours and workshops from May - June 2012

Exhibitions

EXHIBITION
All Work and Low Pay: The Story of Women and Work
Now extended until 25 August 2012
Free

This exhibition explores the extraordinary range
of jobs done by women over the past 150 years,
from forging iron chains to assembling fine
electrical components. It also charts women's
struggle for workplace equality and recognition.

Learn more about this exhibition on a
<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary/whats-on/events/tours.cfm>guided
tour

Photo © TUC Library Collections
All Work and Low Pay

FOYER DISPLAY
Cycling to Suffrage: The Bicycle and Women's Rights, 1890-1914
Until 8 September 2012
Free

Cycling has long been associated with the
emancipation of women, from the fashionable lady
cyclists of the 1890s to the Suffragette Scouts
of Edwardian times. This foyer display, curated
by Vera Douie Fellow Sheila Hanlon, uses
artefacts from The Women's Library to explore the
politics of women's cycling in late nineteenth
and early twentieth century Britain. See the
events section below for a related talk

Photo © The Women's Library
Cycling to Suffrage

Events

TALK
Cycling to Suffrage: The Bicycle and Women's Rights, 1890-1914
Thursday 14 June, 7pm (70 mins)
£8 / £6 concessions

This talk considers the place of the bicycle in
women's lives for leisure, transportation, sport
and activism with a focus on suffrage era
Britain. Dr. Sheila Hanlon discusses her research
for the display and highlights some major issues
in the gender politics of cycling past and present.

TALK
Octavia Hill Centenary
Wednesday 20 June, 7pm (80 mins)
£8 / £6 concessions

To commemorate the centenary of Octavia Hill's
death, join this special talk by Gillian Darley
to celebrate the leading pioneer of social
housing, and founder of the National Trust.
Gillian Darley's biography first published in
1990, has been revised for 2012. It provides a
fascinating account of Octavia's life, and an
insight into the influential principles that
guided her approach to improving housing for the
poor, as well as the many causes she worked for and championed.

FAMILY EVENT
Get off Your Bike!
Saturday 30 June, 12.30pm and 2.00pm
Free

Join this fun family day and make some customised
accessories for your bike, scooters or
skateboards, Inspired by the Cycling to Suffrage display.

Where the Heart is
Saturday 30 June & Sunday 1 July , 11.00am - 4.00pm
Free

Where The Heart Is takes you on a walk of love.
Download a series of evocative podcasts created
by East End women aged from 15 to 80. Inspired by
the collection at The Women's Library, the group
share tales of passion, friendship and belonging
which are reflected in the spaces and places of
Aldgate and Brick Lane. Signposted by still and
moving images located in significant stopping
places, the women's voices will intrigue and
interrogate, before inviting you to afternoon
tea, and a chance to tell us your stories.

News from The Women's Library

Annual Stock-Take Week

We will be closed from Monday 11 to Friday 15
June for our annual stock take week. We will
resume for business as usual on Monday 18 June.

Thank you to all the volunteers taking part. All
volunteer places for this week are now filled but
find out more about volunteering
<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary/support-us/volunteers.cfm>here

More information

Book event tickets

Call 020 7320 2222 during opening hours or
<mailto:moreinfo at thewomenslibrary.ac.uk>email us
with your name, the events you want to book, and
a contact number, and we'll call you back as soon as we can.

You can also book tickets via
<http://www.eventbrite.com/org/1983857469?s=8371047>Eventbrite

Find us online
<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary>www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary

Opening hours

Exhibition Hall
Monday to Friday 9.30am-5.30pm; Thursday until
8pm; Saturday 10am-4pm; Closed Sunday.

Reading Room
Tuesday to Friday, 9.30am-5pm; Thursday until
8pm; Closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary/about/visit.cfm?utm_source=WL-Dec10&utm_medium=link&utm_content=WL&utm_campaign=ezine>Visit
us ·
<http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/thewomenslibrary/support-us/support-us_home.cfm?utm_source=WL-Dec10&utm_medium=link&utm_content=WL&utm_campaign=ezine>Support
us ·