IGALA elections: Voting

Litosseliti, Evangelia L.Litosseliti at CITY.AC.UK
Mon Nov 19 10:58:45 UTC 2012

Dear IGALA members,
Please remember to vote in the IGALA elections before December 5th (details attached below).
If you are a member who has already voted but haven't used your full name, please remember that your vote won't count; you can visit the polls again and vote using your name.
Thank you.
Lia Litosseliti

________________________________
From: Litosseliti, Evangelia [L.Litosseliti at CITY.AC.UK]
Sent: 05 November 2012 16:41
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: [GALA-L] IGALA elections: Voting

For the attention of all IGALA members

International Gender and Language Association (IGALA) Elections

The call for nominations for IGALA Secretary and IGALA Vice-President (President-Elect) is now closed. Thank you for your nominations. Paid up IGALA members are now invited to vote for these positions between November 5th and December 5th. Each member can vote once for each of these roles. A reminder of the duties for each position can be found below.

HOW TO VOTE:

1. Read the candidates’ statements (found at the bottom of this message)

2. Visit http://doodle.com/9sfgrfmfs3ysiaeb to vote for the position of Secretary

3. Visit http://doodle.com/aha4nwv6z9fyxqbx to vote for the position of Vice-President (President-Elect)

I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage all members to vote -- this is a great opportunity for you to have a say in how the organisation is changing -- and to invite non members to join us. Please remember that IGALA membership includes a subscription to the journal. You can join IGALA as a regular member from the Equinox website (http://www.equinoxpub.com/GL) by going to the subscription pages and choosing IGALA membership.

Thank you in advance for your votes!

Lia Litosseliti

IGALA President

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DUTIES

The Secretary is responsible for:

 *

gathering agenda items for meetings

 *   producing and distributing agendas
 *   keeping Minutes of IGALA Executive and Open meetings
 *   maintaining records of meetings and decisions
 *   producing and distributing/posting Minutes of the meetings to the IGALA Membership
 *   in conjunction with the Vice President/President-elect, organising elections and distributing/posting results to the IGALA membership
 *   monitoring the IGALA site, identifying new links, documents and information to be posted on it, and liaising with the Webweaver about this (together with the President and President-elect)
 *   post runs for two years

The Vice-President/President-Elect is responsible for:

 *   supporting the President as appropriate in all the President’s duties
 *   assuming the duties of the President in the event the President cannot serve, and succeeding to the office of President* at the expiration of the term as President-elect
 *   monitoring the IGALA site, identifying new links, documents and information to be posted on it, and liaising with the Webweaver about this (together with the President and Secretary)
 *   chairing the Nominations Committee for Advisory and Executive IGALA committee members
 *   running the IGALA (Post)graduate Student Essay Competition (including chairing the committee, one member of whom will be the Graduate Student Representative)
 *   post runs for two years

* The President [currently Lia Litosseliti, until 2014] is responsible for

 *   working for a policy that balances the needs of members with service to gender and language study
 *   representing IGALA and when appropriate and necessary speaking on its behalf, including in a lobbying capacity
 *   working to develop relations between IGALA and other academic, professional and political bodies, as appropriate
 *   consulting with Executives on issues concerning the management and running of IGALA and coming to a decision about these issues on the basis of Executive's wishes
 *   ensuring that Executives have regular e-discussions on issues relating to IGALA
 *   ensuring that the IGALA conference takes place and liaising with the organiser
 *   chairing (a) an Executive meeting, and (b) an Open Business meeting at the IGALA conference
 *   ensuring that decisions that Executives make are followed through (in conjunction with the Secretary)
 *   drawing up the Agenda for Executive Meetings (in conjunction with the Secretary) and running the meetings
 *   maintaining links with the editors of the Gender and Language journal
 *   monitoring the IGALA site, identifying new links, documents and information to be posted on it, and liaising with the Webweaver about this (together with the Vice-President/President-Elect and Secretary)
 *   post runs for two years

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CANDIDATES' STATEMENTS

Candidates for the position of Secretary (3):

1. Angeliki Alvanoudi

I am a doctoral candidate in the Department of Linguistics at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (my defense is expected to take place in early 2013). In my thesis I examine the social and cognitive dimensions of grammatical gender in person reference in interaction. My research areas are the relationship between language and gender, the intersection between language, culture and cognition, and issues of interdisciplinarity in Women’s/Gender Studies. I currently work as an assistant researcher at the Institute of Modern Greek Studies (Manolis Triandafyllidis Foundation). I participated as a co-teacher in the Intensive Programme ‘Practising Interdisciplinarity in European Gender Studies’ organized by the Institute for Gender Studies of the Faculty of Social Sciences at Radboud University, Nijmegen in 2008. Since 2006 I have been actively engaged in European Gender Studies networks, such as the Advanced Thematic Network on European Gender Studies (ATHENA), the European Association for Gender Research, Education and Documentation (ATGENDER) and the GenderAct network “Academic Cultures and Transformation in European Gender Studies”.  I have participated in several conferences; the most recent ones include IGALA 7 in Sao Leopoldo and the 8th European Feminist Research Conference in Budapest. I have given talks in panels and workshops on the following themes: Challenges for Women’s/Gender Studies in the Neoliberal University (Utrecht 2011), Transdisciplinary Revisited (Berlin 2011), Gender Studies in Times of Austerity and Change (Budapest 2012). My most recent publications include: co-authored with Th.-S. Pavlidou (in press) “Grammatical gender and cognition” ISTAL 20, (2009) “Travelling between languages and disciplines: linguistic and interdisciplinary translation practices in Women’s/Gender Studies” Graduate Journal of Social Sciences 6(3), (2009) “Teaching gender in the neoliberal university” in Gronold, Hipfl & Lund Pedersen (eds.), Teaching with the Third Wave – New Feminists' Explorations of Teaching and Institutional Contexts, (2009) “Open letter: golden boys, marxist ghosts and nomadic feminism” European Journal of Women’s Studies 16(2).

2. Encarnacion Hidalgo Tenorio

I am a senior lecturer in English linguistics at the University of Granada, Spain, where I have been teaching several undergraduate and master courses since 2001. My main research area is Corpus-based CDA, where I focus on notions such as representation and power enactment as manifested mainly in public discourse. I have also published on language and gender, and have paid attention to the analysis of the way gender (identity) is construed through discourse. Some of the papers connected with this field are the
following:
-1999: "The Playboy of the Western World: The Subversion of a Traditional
Conception of Irishness?”, Journal of Literary Studies, 15(3/4):425-458
- 2000a: “From Countess Cathleen to Nora Clitheroe: an exploration into
Ireland’s Women”, British and American Studies, 6: 22-30
- 2000b: “Gender, Sex and Stereotyping in the Collins COBUILD English
Language Dictionary”, Australian Journal of Linguistics, 20(2): 211-230
- 2002: “‘I want to be a prime minister’, or what linguistic choice
can do for campaigning politicians”, Language and Literature, 11(3):
243-261
- 2004: “The discourse of good and evil in twentieth-century
speeches”, in M. Breen (ed.), Truth, reconciliation, and evil, Amsterdam
& NY: Rodopi, 45-65
- 2007: Corpora in the foreign classroom (co-edited with J. Santana and L.
Quereda). Amsterdam & NY: Rodopi
- 2009: “The Metaphorical Construction of Ireland”, in K. Ahrens
(ed.), Politics, Gender and Conceptual Metaphors. Houndmills & NY:
Palgrave/Macmillan, 112-136
-2010: “Side Effects of the Linguistic Construction of Others’
Wickedness”, in N. Billias (ed.), Promoting and Producing. Amsterdam &
NY: Rodopi, 33-63
- 2011a: “Politics and Language: The Representation of some “Others”
in the Spanish Parliament”, in J. Collins & N. Vosburg (eds), Lesbian
Realities/Lesbian Fictions in Contemporary Spain. Lewisburg, PA: Bucknell
University Press and Rowman & Littlefield, 119-148
- 2011b: “Critical Discourse Analysis, an Overview”, Nordic Journal of
English Studies, 10(1): 183-210

3. Agnes Kang

My name is Agnes Kang, and I am happy to accept the nomination for IGALA Secretary. I have been teaching Language and Gender along with other courses in sociolinguistics and discourse at the University of Hong Kong since 2000, after completing my Ph.D. at the University of California, Santa Barbara. My research has centered on discourse and identity studies and interactional sociolinguistics, and in the last several years I’ve expanded my research areas to include research in language and gender. The first venue I sought for presenting this research was the 5th IGALA meeting in 2008 in Wellington. I remember that meeting fondly as a place where one has opportunities to meet and talk with international researchers interested in similar issues, which, unfortunately, is not always the case at international conferences. I am running for IGALA Secretary for two main reasons. First, I would like to work closely with some of the interactional researchers I have met in the last several years to strengthen and develop IGALA as an organization that continues to support data-driven research on gender, language and sexuality. Second, I hope that by serving as IGALA Secretary, I can raise the profile of gender and language research in Hong Kong and the Asia Pacific region as a whole. I am currently working on a paper on “Kong girls”, a negatively charged gender stereotype in Hong Kong. I am interested in how this stereotype takes shape through participation in online discussion forums, and what this can tell us about gender identities in Hong Kong. I believe any position on the Executive Council of IGALA entails a role in promoting the study of gender and discourse in one’s local communities. It is an exciting time to be involved in gender and language research, which continues to become more international and more interdisciplinary in scope.

Candidates for the position of Vice-President (President-Elect) (1):

1. Michelle M. Lazar

Michelle Lazar (Ph.D from Lancaster University, UK) is Associate Professor in the Department of English Language and Literature at the National University of Singapore.  In her research on gender, she brings to bear a critical perspective to the study of femininities and masculinities in discourse.  She is editor of Feminist Critical Discourse Analysis: Gender, Power and Ideology in Discourse and Communicating (Post)Feminisms in Discourse, and is currently completing a monograph on critical analyses of gender and feminisms in discourse.  She is founding editor of the Routledge Critical Studies in Discourse monograph series, and is on the editorial boards of ten international journals, including Discourse and Society, Gender and Language, Critical Discourse Studies and Social Semiotics. She peer reviews articles for numerous other international journals including Feminist Media Studies, Women’s Studies International Forum, and Women, Politics and Policy.

In terms of administrative experience, Michelle is the Academic Convenor of the Gender Studies programme at her university, Assistant Dean of Research, and Head of the Singapore Research Nexus in her Faculty.  Michelle has served many years in IGALA committees, first as an Advisory Council member, in charge of promoting the internationalisation of IGALA through the organisation of local gender and language events around the world, and second as the Secretary in the Executive Committee.  Apart from her duties as Secretary, she also chaired the IGALA7 International Bursary Committee and has been involved in running the elections for both the Advisory and Executive committees. As a native of Singapore, and a scholar from the global South, Michelle lends another important perspective and voice to the Association, and remains strongly committed to the internationalisation of IGALA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr Lia Litosseliti
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics & Programme Director for BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy
Department of Language and Communication Science
City University London
Northampton Square
London EC1V 0HB
UK