Follow up to the IGALA newsletter

Clare Anderson CHA637 at BHAM.AC.UK
Wed Oct 31 12:38:42 UTC 2012

Dear all,
In my capacity as Graduate Student Representative on the IGALA Advisory Board, I'd like to circulate details of the IGALA 7 Book Prize and Best Student Award, both of which I had the privilege of being involved in organising. This is by way of follow up to Lia's report on the IGALA 7 conference in Brazil in the recent newsletter.

I can report that we had a high number of entries for both competitions and the standard was extremely high - so much so that it was decided to split the first prize for the BOOK PRIZE:

Joint winners:
Laurel Kamada: 'Hybrid identities and Adolescent Girls: Being 'half' in
Japan' (2010), Multilingual Matters Inc
Jane Sunderland: 'Language, Gender and Children's Fiction' (2011), Continuum
Runner up:
Jonathan Charteris-Black and Clive Seale: 'Gender and the Language of
illness' (2010) Palgrave Macmillan

BEST STUDENT ESSAY AWARD
Best paper in English: Jessica Nelson 'He talks like a woman': Lakota gendered speech forms in a context of linguistic shift/revitalisation
Best paper in Portuguese: Elizabeth Lewis 'Armarios, muros e construcoes identitarias: narrativas sobre o processo de sair do armario de uma ativista LGBT bissexual'

BEST POSTER AWARD:
Best poster in English: Carolina Maia de Aguiar
Best poster in Portuguese: Karen Seger

May I once again thank all those who reviewed books and papers and were so generous with their time.

Best wishes

Clare Anderson
Graduate Student Representative