Nice Girls Don't Get Pregnant: A GIRL LIKE HER | A New Release from Women Make Movies

Women Make Movies Educate educate at WMM.COM
Mon Jun 3 18:30:58 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am writing from Women Make Movies, the leading non profit distributor of films by and about women. I thought the members of this listserv would be interested to know about A GIRL LIKE HER, a new educational resource that explores critical issues around reproductive rights and motherhood. To celebrate this release, WMM is offering a special promotion on selected titles.

I am posting more info below on A GIRL LIKE HER and this special offer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and thanks as always for supporting independent women filmmakers!

A GIRL LIKE HER
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c846.shtml>

“A compelling glimpse into an era in which voiceless young women had no rights, rarely saw or held their newborns and were threatened with psychiatric commitment if they questioned the mandate to relinquish a child."
Silverdocs Film Festival

>From 1945-73, 1.5 million unmarried young American women, facing enormous social pressures, surrendered babies to adoption. Lacking sex education and easy access to birth control, they were forced into hiding while pregnant and then into "abandoning" their infants. In her latest film, Ann Fessler, Professor of Photography at Rhode Island School of Design, reprises the subject of her award-winning THE GIRLS WHO WENT AWAY (National Book Critics Circle; Ballard Book Prize) which Ms. readers named an all-time best feminist book.

Drawing on interviews with 100 women, Fessler lets them have their say and brings hidden history to light. We hear only their voices, which detail wrenching experiences against images from vintage newsreel and educational films reinforcing the stereotypes of women's roles following WWII. This gripping documentary will help today's students grasp what life was like before the sexual and feminist revolutions had fully dawned.

A film by Ann Fessler
US, 2012, 48 minutes, Color

Institutional Price: $295.00
K-12, Public Libraries, Community Groups: $89.00

View the trailer here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY2VsVRJoX0>
Purchase the film here <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c846.shtml>

Special Offer on selected films!
Get any of these titles at 50% off when you purchase A GIRL LIKE HER at list price!

Order any title below at 50% off the list price. * This offer applies to institutions only; public libraries, K-12 and community groups still receive any title for only $89.

I HAD AN ABORTION <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c693.shtml>
"No one who sees this remarkable film will be able to turn away and ignore their experience." Michael Moore, Filmmaker & Activist

MIDDLE OF EVERYWHERE: THE ABORTION DEBATE FROM AMERICA'S HEARTLAND <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c773.shtml>
"***....An intriguing exploration of a perennial topic, this is recommended." Video Librarian

 JANE: AN ABORTION SERVICE <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c410.shtml>
"Necessary viewing for an understanding of this period and a rousing example of ordinary people making history." Marlene Gerber Fried, Hampshire College

 I WAS A TEENAGE FEMINIST <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c695.shtml>
"Proves that feminism is still available to anyone willing to look past the media's dismissals." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture & Society

You can place your order directly through WMM's Online Shopping Cart. During checkout, enter promo code AGLHLS13 and your discount will be applied. For questions, email orders at wmm.com, or call 212.925.0606 x360. Offer ends July 31, 2013.

**Cannot be used with 2013 films in collection. Other exceptions may apply. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Excludes home video and public libraries, K-12 and community groups.

GENERAL ORDERING INFORMATION

All orders must be accompanied by an institutional purchase order or Prepayment. Payment may be made by institutional check, money order, or Visa and MasterCard.

Women Make Movies *115 W. 29th Street, Suite 1200, New York, NY *
orders at wmm.com
Tel: 212.925.0606 x360

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Liane Costello
Women Make Movies
115 W. 29th Street, Suite 1200,
New York, NY  10001
www.wmm.com

WE’VE MOVED! As of 4/1, our new address is 115 W. 29th Street, Suite 1200, New York, NY  10001.