Parenting from Prison: MOTHER OF BEDFORD | A WMM New Release

Women Make Movies Educate educate at WMM.COM
Wed Oct 9 21:01:25 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am writing from Women Make Movies, the leading nonprofit distributor of films by and about women. I thought the members of this listserv would be interested in our newest release, MOTHERS OF BEDFORD. In this absorbing documentary and powerful educational resource, flmmaker Jenifer McShane explores complex issues around motherhood and parenting, female incarceration, alternative family structures and the struggle to break the cycle of chronic recidivism. To celebrate this new release, WMM is offering a special promotion on selected titles that help support the educational content presented in MOTHERS OF BEDFORD.

I’m including some additional info on MOTHERS OF BEDFORD and the related special offer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and thanks as always for supporting independent women filmmakers!

MOTHERS OF BEDFORD
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c857.shtml>

Women are the fastest-growing U.S. prison population today. Eighty percent are mothers of school-age children. Jenifer McShane's absorbing documentary gives human dimensions to these rarely reported statistics, taking us inside Bedford Hills Correctional Facility, a maximum security prison north of New York City. Shot over four years, MOTHERS OF BEDFORD follows five women - of diverse backgrounds and incarcerated for different reasons- in dual struggles to be engaged in their children's lives and become their better selves. It shows how long-term sentences affect mother-child relationships and how Bedford's innovative Children's Center helps women maintain and improve bonds with children and adult relatives awaiting their return. Whether it be parenting's normal frustrations to celebrating a special day, from both inside and out of the prison walls, this moving film provides unprecedented access to a little known, rarely shown, community of women.

A film by Jenifer McShane
US, 2011, 96 minutes, Color, DVD

Institutional Price: $295.00
DVD Rental Price: $90.00
K-12, Public Libraries, Community Groups: $89.00

View the trailer: http://www.wmm.com/advscripts/wmmvideo.aspx?pid=235
Purchase the film: http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c857.shtml

SPECIAL OFFER ON WOMEN BEHIND BARS: VOICES FROM THE INSIDE COLLECTION
Take 50% off any of these select titles when you purchase MOTHERS OF BEDFORD at list price! Journeying from the swamps of southern Louisiana to the classrooms of a maximum security Iowa prison, this diverse collection goes behind the scenes - and behind the bars - of an America incarcerated

900 WOMEN <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c521.shtml>
"Sensitive...Intimate and candid, this [video] will be a useful addition to women's studies collections and larger public libraries."
-Video Librarian

SIN BY SILENCE <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c759.shtml>
"...disrupts conventional assumptions about victimization and empowerment to provide an alternative perspective for courses on feminist activism." -Films for the Feminist Classroom

TROOP 1500: GIRL SCOUTS BEYOND BARS <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c659.shtml>
"Poignant...Recommended"
-Video Librarian

FREEDOM ROAD <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c670.shtml>
"[T]he filmmaker vividly portrays the human potential to learn, imagine, and heal."
-Janet Wilson, Illinois State University

BLIND SPOT: MURDER BY WOMEN <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c520.shtml>
"An emotionally powerful and analytically provocative film."
-Rachel Kahn-Hut, San Francisco State University

View entire collection: http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/collect43.shtml

Order online and enter promo code MOBLS13 to apply the discount. Questions? Email orders at wmm.com or call 212.925.0606 x360. Offer ends 11/30/13.

Cannot be combined with any other offer. Other restrictions may apply.
GENERAL ORDERING INFORMATION

All orders must be accompanied by an institutional purchase order or Prepayment. Payment may be made by institutional check, money order, or Visa and MasterCard.

Women Make Movies *115 W. 29th Street, Suite 1200, New York, NY *
orders at wmm.com
Tel: 212.925.0606 x360

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Meredith Heil
Marketing Coordinator
Women Make Movies