ABUELAS: GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION | A WMM New Release

Women Make Movies Educate educate at WMM.COM
Thu Sep 12 18:28:50 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I’m writing from Women Make Movies, the leading nonprofit distributor of films by and about women. I thought the members of this listserv would be interested in our newest release, ABUELAS: GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION, a captivating educational resource exploring political activism in Latin America and the thousands of disappeared children lost to Argentina’s infamous Dirty War. ABUELAS is a fantastic addition to classrooms, organizations and libraries focused on Latin American Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies, Social Justice Issues, War and Military Studies, Post-Colonial Studies, Women’s Studies and the Latina Experience. To celebrate this release, WMM is offering a special promotion on a body of titles that expand upon ABUELAS: GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION’s educational value.

I’m including some additional info on ABUELAS: GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION and the related special offer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and thanks as always for supporting independent women filmmakers!

ABUELAS: GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION < <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c860.shtml >

In 1985, the Academy Award® nominated film LAS MADRES: THE MOTHERS OF PLAZA DE MAYO <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c85.shtml> profiled the Argentinean mothers' movement to demand to know the fate of 30,000 "disappeared" sons and daughters. Now three decades later, Argentina's courageous Grandmothers, or "Abuelas," have been searching for their grandchildren: the children of their sons and daughters who disappeared during Argentina's "Dirty War.” The women in ABUELAS are seeking answers about their children that nobody else will give — answers about a generation that survived, but were kidnapped and relocated to families linked with the regime that murdered their parents.

A film by Noemi Weis
Canada/Argentina, 2012, 28 minutes, Color, DVD, Spanish, Subtitled

Institutional Price: $275.00
DVD Rental Price: $75.00
K-12, Public Libraries, Community Groups: $89.00

View the trailer: http://www.wmm.com/advscripts/wmmvideo.aspx?pid=238
Purchase the film: http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c860.shtml

**Special Offer on WMM’s LATIN AMERICAN WOMEN: BREAKING BORDERS Collection!**

To celebrate this new release, take 50% off any title from WMM's LATIN AMERICAN WOMEN: BREAKING BORDERS Special Collection <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/collect41.shtml> when you purchase ABUELAS at list price! Use promo code ABUELASLS13. Offer expires 11/15/13.

Cannot be combined with any other offer. Other restrictions may apply.

Interested in Latin American Studies? This Year, WMM Has Added Four New Latin American Titles!

>From immigration to civil wars to politics, women in Latin and Central America continue to fight for both gender equality and their own survival. Glimpse into the lives of these brave and determined individuals with this growing collection of compelling films.

ABUELAS: GRANDMOTHERS ON A MISSION
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c860.shtml>
"An impressive testimony of dictatorships' impact on families and on the strength of women's hope through decades."
-FEMCINE

CHILDREN OF MEMORY (NIÑOS DE LA MEMORIA)
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c842.shtml>
"... an essential addition to the films about Central America in the 1980s."
-Pamela Yates, Director of GRANITO: How to Nail a Dictator

BAY OF ALL SAINTS
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c854.shtml>
"...paints a dispiriting picture of life in a Brazilian slum and offers no cheap expression of hope beyond the fighting spirit found, however intermittently, in the community itself."
-Hollywood Reporter

MARÍA IN NOBODY'S LAND
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c840.shtml>
"[S]hed[s] light on the thousands of kidnappings, sexual abuse, human trafficking, and torture suffered by migrants who travel across Mexico each year..." -UCLA International Institute

To view trailers and see a complete listing of related titles, explore all of WMM's Latin American Subject Area films: http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/subjects/sub61.shtml

GENERAL ORDERING INFORMATION

All orders must be accompanied by an institutional purchase order or Prepayment. Payment may be made by institutional check, money order, or Visa and MasterCard.

Women Make Movies *115 W. 29th Street, Suite 1200, New York, NY *
orders at wmm.com
Tel: 212.925.0606 x360

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Meredith Heil
Marketing Coordinator
Women Make Movies