'Gender, Language and the Media' event: London, 30th April 2014

Sylvia Shaw s.k.shaw at MDX.AC.UK
Wed Feb 5 16:18:35 UTC 2014

The British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)

7th BAAL Gender and Language Special Interest Group Event (GaLSig)

'Gender, Language and the Media'

Date: Wednesday 30th April 2014; 10.00am to 4.30pm

Place: Middlesex University, Media Department, The Burroughs, Hendon, London NW4 4BT.

Keynote papers:

1.    Yasmin Alabhai-Brown (Middlesex University and weekly columnist for The Independent). Title: tbc.

2.    Judith Baxter (Aston University)

'Containing femininity: sexualised constructions of leading women in the news media'.

3.    Deborah Cameron (Oxford University) and Tamar Holoshitz (Yale Law School)
‘News journalism, language and the representation of sexual violence in conflict settings’

4.    Georgina Turner (Loughborough University and the Guardian)

‘Women on the back pages: gender, language and sports journalism’.

5.    Joanna Thornborrow (University of Western Brittany)

‘Media discourse and research practice: Where do we go with gender, representation and the social media?’

Round table: Topic tbc

Rates: £45 non-BAAL members; £40 BAAL members: £35 full-time students.
This includes lunch, refreshments and the event programme.

Registration opens on Thursday 20th February 2014

You are advised to register early as there are only a limited number of places for this event.

For further information, please contact the organisers:
Sylvia Shaw: s.k.shaw at mdx.ac.uk<mailto:s.k.shaw at mdx.ac.uk><mailto:s.k.shaw at mdx.ac.uk>
Jo Angouri J.Angouri at warwick.ac.uk<mailto:J.Angouri at warwick.ac.uk>

Gender and Language SiG website: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fass/organisations/galsig/events.htm

#galsig7

Dr Sylvia Shaw
Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader of English Language
Middlesex University

Please note that Middlesex University's preferred way of receiving all correspondence is via email in line with our Environmental Policy. All incoming post to Middlesex University is opened and scanned by our digital document handler, CDS, and then emailed to the recipient.

If you do not want your correspondence to Middlesex University processed in this way please email the recipient directly. Parcels, couriered items and recorded delivery items will not be opened or scanned by CDS.  There are items which are "exceptions" which will be opened by CDS but will not be scanned a full list of these can be obtained by contacting the University.