IGALA8 Graduate Workshop

Clare Anderson CHA637 at STUDENT.BHAM.AC.UK
Mon May 12 19:26:56 UTC 2014

*Calling all Graduate students*

Dear Colleagues,

Based on your ideas and feedback, we have planned what should be an exciting and productive workshop.

The format is intended to be an interactive discussion with our panel. They will begin the session by giving a brief introduction to themselves and their field of expertise, and will then take questions and discuss any issues related to our topic.

I hope the summary below will inspire you to come; it would be great to see as many of you there as possible. Come with a question or two for our panelists!

Hope to see you there,
Clare

IGALA 2014 International Conference: Graduate Student Session & Lunch

Building Bridges (not burning them): Connecting academia and the wider community

Relationships between academia and the wider community can be uneasy and at times problematic. Simultaneously, working between these two spaces can create possibilities for social justice and change. The ways in which graduate students are able to navigate this terrain is often given limited discussion within the academy. In an attempt to open up this important topic, this workshop will discuss ways in which meaningful engagement and relationships between academia and diverse external audiences can be developed and sustained in a mutually beneficial way. The discussion will consider a variety of perspectives and experiences, as well as stories of successes and failures in cultivating these relationships. Bringing together both academic and non-academic community members, our panel of experts will share their experiences of managing and dealing with these interactions. This session will explore how graduate students, as members of the academic community, can connect with different non-academic audiences build relationships,  and find a 'voice' as researchers, academics, and activists.

Panelist (alphabetical order)

·      Malcolm Coulthard, Aston University

·      Karon Jolna, Ms. Magazine

·      Lia Litosselliti, City University London

·      Tara Mahoney, Gen Why Media

·      Sylvia Shaw, Middlesex University

·      Veronica Strong-Boag, University of British Columbia
Date, Time & Location
Thursday June 5th from 12:30-2pm – Room 1900, Fletcher Challenge Theatre, SFU Harbor Center, Vancouver.