[Gala-l] Extended deadline: IGALA 9 - Hong Kong 19-21 May 2016

Brian King igala9hk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:24:01 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Below is the final call for papers for IGALA 9. *The abstract submission
deadline has been extended to 15 December 2015*.

We are also pleased to announce the offer of the *IGALA Hardship
Registration fee* (HKD250) for a limited number of scholars from
economically disadvantaged countries who attend and present at IGALA 9. For
the application guidelines, please refer to the registration page of our
website:  http://www.english.cityu.edu.hk/en/portal/igala/registration.jsp.

Details of the conference can also be found in the attached poster. If this
is not your research field, could we ask you to forward it to those who
might be interested? Thank you.

Best wishes,

IGALA 9 Committee

*IGALA 9*

Time and Transition: Gender, Sexuality, Discourse and Language

*19-21 May 2016*

*City University of Hong Kong*

*Final Call for Papers*

The International Gender and Language Association (IGALA) is delighted to
announce its next conference, IGALA9, which will take place at City
University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong on 19-21 May 2016.

The theme for IGALA 9 is Time and Transition: Gender, sexuality, discourse
and language. This theme reflects Hong Kong, a city in which time and
transition are unusually salient and omnipresent themes in social life.
Working in this context has prompted the organizers to reflect on
timescales and transitions in relation to this conference. How do time and
transition interact with gender, sexuality, discourse and language? And how
is this interaction manifest in the rest of the world?

More specifically:
- How do gender, sexuality, discourse, and language intersect with rapid
change?
- How are transitions, discourse, language, gender, and sexuality mutually
constitutive?
- How are meanings discursively constructed across various timescales in
relation to gender and sexuality?
- How do short-term gender performances persist across time as we interact
in the present?
- How do we project our gendered and sexualized ‘selves’ and societies into
the future while drawing on the past?

We have invited six prominent scholars in the field of language, gender and
sexuality:  Sally McConnell-Ginet, Kira Hall, Mary Bucholtz, Peter A.
Jackson, Jie Yang, Tommaso Milani (
http://www.english.cityu.edu.hk/en/portal/igala/speakers.jsp
<https://exchange.lancs.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=NXRIodBnF2y3-BDNQyw6Dp4aAqLZFdkExboVayB6b4W6NkUCv9_SCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBlAG4AZwBsAGkAcwBoAC4AYwBpAHQAeQB1AC4AZQBkAHUALgBoAGsALwBlAG4ALwBwAG8AcgB0AGEAbAAvAGkAZwBhAGwAYQAvAHMAcABlAGEAawBlAHIAcwAuAGoAcwBwAA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.english.cityu.edu.hk%2fen%2fportal%2figala%2fspeakers.jsp>
)

*Panel abstract submission has been closed, but we are still inviting
abstract submission for Individual Papers.*

Submission of Abstracts:

All submissions have to be made via our online ''EasyAbs'' page on Linguist
List: (
www.linguistlist.org/confservices/customhome.cfm?Emeetingid=6102JA4458BE925840A050441
<https://exchange.lancs.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=1sS13G2XiaWNdFtkveDdPR4vcR5hkuGcMIgZMhqmgpG6NkUCv9_SCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBsAGkAbgBnAHUAaQBzAHQAbABpAHMAdAAuAG8AcgBnAC8AYwBvAG4AZgBzAGUAcgB2AGkAYwBlAHMALwBjAHUAcwB0AG8AbQBoAG8AbQBlAC4AYwBmAG0APwBFAG0AZQBlAHQAaQBuAGcAaQBkAD0ANgAxADAAMgBKAEEANAA0ADUAOABCAEUAOQAyADUAOAA0ADAAQQAwADUAMAA0ADQAMQA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.linguistlist.org%2fconfservices%2fcustomhome.cfm%3fEmeetingid%3d6102JA4458BE925840A050441>
).

Deadline for individual paper abstract submission is *15 December 2015
(extended)*. Notification of acceptance will be sent to authors in January
2016.

Word limits for abstracts:

Panel overview (submitted by panel organizer) - 750 words
Individual panel contribution and individual paper - 500 words

Conference committee

Chair

Brian King

Members

Agnes Kang
Allyson Jule
Federica Formato
Mandy Hoi Man Yu
Ben Rowlett

Secretary

Winnie Cheng

You can find more information on the website of the conference:
http://www.english.cityu.edu.hk/en/portal/igala/
<https://exchange.lancs.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=glP7HgH3omAQiOEMqiCqTj2jDq9iJE2I-GgZuKZwiCW6NkUCv9_SCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBlAG4AZwBsAGkAcwBoAC4AYwBpAHQAeQB1AC4AZQBkAHUALgBoAGsALwBlAG4ALwBwAG8AcgB0AGEAbAAvAGkAZwBhAGwAYQAvAA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.english.cityu.edu.hk%2fen%2fportal%2figala%2f>
or visit our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/IGALA9
<https://exchange.lancs.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=8VUV65uYbzhjxLhfvN2V1V9wmHWoGvxofyDRbjBM5fW6NkUCv9_SCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAGYAYQBjAGUAYgBvAG8AawAuAGMAbwBtAC8ASQBHAEEATABBADkA&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fIGALA9>,
Twitter @igala9  or contact us at igala9hk at gmail.com
<https://exchange.lancs.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=OJxvEvr94XwCgyOnlaPAHRuW50blKw7tB2M_k6cv7-66NkUCv9_SCG0AYQBpAGwAdABvADoAaQBnAGEAbABhADkAaABrAEAAZwBtAGEAaQBsAC4AYwBvAG0A&URL=mailto%3aigala9hk%40gmail.com>