[Gala-l] Special gender panel at the American Name Society at LSA 2019

Laurel Sutton laurelasutton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:33:37 UTC 2018

For those of you who are attending the LSA meeting in January (in a week!
Jan 3-6th, in New York City), you may be interested in a special panel
being held at the American Name Society meeting. It's being held on
Saturday at 8 am. Here is the schedule:

Special Topic: Names, Naming, Gender, Sex, and Sexual Orientation
Room: Meeting Room A
Chair: Laurel Sutton

8:00    Sharon N. Obasi, Richard Mocarski, Natalie Holt, Debra A. Hope,
Nathan Woodruff (University of Nebraska-Kearney). I call myself: assessing
gender identity and renaming strategies among Transgender or Gender
Nonconforming (TGNC) Adults.

8:30    Brian W. King (University of Hong Kong). Medicalized naming
practices and the pathologization of intersex bodies.

9:00    Al Crowley (University of South Carolina). Trans enough? Nonbinary
YouTubers and the transgender label.

10:15   Carly Dickerson (The Ohio State University). Naming Albania’s Sworn
Virgins.

10:45   Chloe Brotherton (UC Davis). The construction of asexual and
non-binary identities on Tumblr through naming practices.

I have also attached the complete ANS schedule, as there are a few other
gender-related papers being presented. I look forward to meeting any
members of this list who might attend! Please feel free to introduce
yourselves to me!

Laurel Sutton
ANS Information Officer