[gothic-l] Re: What ever became of the Ostrogoths???

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Aug 17 07:29:52 UTC 2000

Hails!

After the defeat of the Ostrogoths by the Byzantines, beside those
killed in the war, those remained in Italy and assimilated, and those
who joined the Visigoths in Spain, it seems that there were also some
that fled northwards and joined the Bavarians (see also my message to
this list no. 2225, Subject: Gothic and Old Bavarian).

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Axeage " <axeage at h...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know what happened to the Ostrogoths after their defeat
> to Belisarius and the Byzantine armies in the 550's AD. Some books
> say that they remained in Italy and eventually assimilated into the
> rest of the population; others say that they were forced to leave
> Italy, but give no details as to where; while others say that they
> indeed left Italy and joined up with their fellow Gothic kinsmen in
> Spain....
>
> All of these theories seem possible to me - especially the last
one,
> since Goths were the ruling class of Spain...but then again I don't
> know the details on Visigothic/Ostrogothic relations at that time
> (good/bad terms). Does anyone know what happened???
>
> Any info would be appreciated,
> Thanks!

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Apply NOW!
1. Fill in the brief application
3. Get rates as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no annual fee!