[gothic-l] Gothic music...no, not that kind

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Fri Aug 18 18:55:53 UTC 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, sunburst wrote:

> "Thereupon those priests of the Goths that are called the Holy Men suddenly
> opened
> the gates of Odessus and came forth to meet them. They bore harps and were
> clad in
> snowy robes, and chanted in suppliant strains to the gods of their fathers
> that they
> might be propitious and repel the Macedonians.

This is an old indoeuropean tradition. Bard and poets celts were
a high level class in their society.

> Though how much this means to one will no doubt depend on whether one
> identifies the Goths with the Getae.

While following a Pakistani-Indian argument in Soc.culture.usa
I reached to:

  The Scythians inhabiting Central Asia at the time of
    Herodotus (5th century B.C.) consisted of 4 main branches
      known as the MassaGatae, Sacae, Alani, and Sarmatians,
 sharing a common language, ethnicity and culture. Ancient
    Greek (e.g. Herodotus, Pliny, Plotemy, Arrian) and Persian
   sources (Darius's historians) from the 5th century place the
   MassaGatea as the most southerly group in the Central Asian
     steppe. The earliest Scythians who entered the northern
      regions of South Asia were from this group. Historians
    derive "Jat" fom "Gatae", "Ahir" from "Avar", "Saka" from
         "Scythii", "Gujjar" from "Khazar", "Thakur" from
         "Tukharian", "Saurashtra" from "Saura Matii" or
    "Sarmatians", "Sessodia" (a Rajput clan) from "Sassanian",
     "Madra" from "Medes", "Trigartta" from "Tyri Getae" and
   "Sulika" from "Seleucids". "Massa" means "grand" or "big" in
           old Iranian - the language of the Scythians.

For me it's clear that Goths, Iranian and India  invaders are
the same people.

While reading Larousse encyclopedia yesterday, I reached to
"visigothic lithurgy" in the V century. Perhaps, you can find
some recordings of it. The "roman lithurgy" (no music, and austerity
was introduced in X century).

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Fidelity, n.: A virtue peculiar to those who are about to be betrayed.