[gothic-l] Discovery of Gothic Fragment

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Fri Aug 25 22:22:24 UTC 2000

Hehe. It must be a corrupted version, or the Runic
inscription is corrupted ;) Thanks Magnus and Bertil for your elucidating
comments.

There are obviously innovations in the Runic text, and vocabulary that is
not shared between the Gothic (which oddly enough uses a vocabulary mostly
confined to Koebler's Goetisches Woerterbuch). Thus the disparities. But
this is encountered often enough in transcription of oral tradition. It
seems that the Goth was unskilled in his own language, however; as Magnus
points out a grammatically and sound version true to the runic inscription
would read:

rairoth THiudareiks
sa thauramodaga
frauja flutane
statha hraidamareins
sitith nu garws
ana gutin seinamma
skildau bigaurdans
skata meriggje

A restored version, not transliterating to "standard ON":

Raiþ þiaurikz hin þurmuþi
Stiliz flutna strãndu Hraiþmaraz.
Sitiz nu garuz ã guta sinum
Skialdi u(m)b fatlaþz skati Maringa.

A GAV version would have to be something more like the following:

raidida Þiudareiks sa þaurismoda
staþa flutane frauja Hraidameris
sitiþ nu garws ana gutin
skildau umgaurdans skata Marhigge.

I found a translation by Vigfusson & Powell (Corpus Poeticum Boreale vol.I)

"Theodrick the daring of mood, the lord of seamen, ruled Redmere's Strand.
He, the prince of the Maerings, sitteth now in full war-gear on his steed,
shield-girt."

If indeed raiþ means 'rode' and not 'ruled', then the Gothic text should
read, "Raiþ þiudareiks..."

>>> raidida thiudareiks thaurismodahs
>>> statha frauja fl[u]tane hraidamer[ein]s
>>> sitith nu garus ana gut[in]
>>> skildau u[m]gairdiths skarja Marhigge

KGW 434 raidjan, sw. V (1) verordnen, darbieten...
KGW 482 skarja, sw. M.(n): Scharführer...
That the gothic inscriber uses this instead of *skata points to a gap in the
vocabulary, or corruption of one or other text.
Unfortunately, K. has not attested the meaning "equipped"
for garus, which has only "ornamentation". Flutane is totally
unattested. -modahs is used to fill the meter; normally we would see -mods
or sa ....-moda. Marhigge from Marhings (KGW 694) s. marhs (horse), Marings
Krause, Runeninschriften 311 Nr. 167.

Matþaius

Evolution is not necessarily collective...
Courses, consultations and free lectures online.