[gothic-l] The Roek Runestone Inscription

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Aug 26 05:15:26 UTC 2000

M.,

Strantu hraithmaraR is a shortened version of
strantu hraithkutamaraR = the coast of the Sea
of the Reidgoths. Attempts have been made to
identify this sea, which exists only in the sagas.
My guess is that the coast is the northern German
coast on the Baltic Sea. But reidgoths is also
a poetic word for the Ostrogoths, so other
geographical interpretations are of course
possible.

The Scandinavian "maer", "maeringar" is
the Gothic mer family. Theoderik's father was
Theodemer and his uncles Valamer and Vidumer.
"Maeringa burg" was Ravenna (see the Old English
poem Deor).

"raith" can also be related to "riding".

Bertil

> Hehe. It must be a corrupted version, or the Runic
> inscription is corrupted ;) Thanks Magnus and Bertil for your elucidating
> comments.

> KGW 434 raidjan, sw. V (1) verordnen, darbieten...
> KGW 482 skarja, sw. M.(n): Scharführer...
> That the gothic inscriber uses this instead of *skata points to a gap in the
> vocabulary, or corruption of one or other text.
> Unfortunately, K. has not attested the meaning "equipped"
> for garus, which has only "ornamentation". Flutane is totally
> unattested. -modahs is used to fill the meter; normally we would see -mods
> or sa ....-moda. Marhigge from Marhings (KGW 694) s. marhs (horse), Marings
> Krause, Runeninschriften 311 Nr. 167.

Evolution is not necessarily collective...
Courses, consultations and free lectures online.