[gothic-l] problems with evolution of Gothic vowel system

Vito Evola vito_e at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 31 12:12:40 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

1)  First off, I'd be interested in knowing a little more about the fact
that I had read on Wulfila's invention of the dieresis. Who was it that said
that? Do you know anything more about this?

2)  Would there be anyone willing to put on the list the evolution of the
vowel system IE < *germ. < goth.  ?

3)  I'm particularly having problems understanding the evolution of the word
for pastor or shepherd:

          *germ. herdijaz < goth. haìrdeis

I understand the <ei> represents a /i:/, but I just don't know how the
radical <e> became <aì>

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Vito Evola
vito.evola at libero.it