[gothic-l] The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Aug 31 14:51:39 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

As usual David Salo has not the slightest
proof for his beliefs.

Prokopius mentions the Goetar, and it is possible
that Ptolemaios mentions this South Scandinavian
people as Goutai, which probably at the time was
pronounced Gotae.

In Liber Monstrorum (8th century AD) Huiglacus is
called "Rex Getarum". There was a mix up between
Gotae and Getae in Eastern Europe but there
can be no question of that in relation to the Frisian-
Francian tradition, the Getae (Geats) are the Goetar
(Gautar).

So the first of the Goetar to be mentioned is King Hugilaik.
One needs to go to verse 2200 in Beowulf to read about
the historically proven struggle (around 510 AD?) between
the Svear and the Goetar, which resulted, eventually, much
later in the Svear gaining the upper hand.

In Beowulf there is mention of wars to be expected by the
Geats, and these wars did take place.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this list the Goths
themselves believed they originated in Southern
Scandinavia. Why should the Goths believe the
originated from the pagan North when they could easily
claim much more famous ancestry if this was not
the truth?

Then there is the fact of the linguistical similarity between
Goetar/Gautar, Gutar (from the island of Gotland), Goths
(lat. Goti).

David Salo also seems to believe that geographical distance
is of importance. We know from the history of the Era of
Great Migration that Germanic tribes migrated very long distances.
For instance the Vandals from North Jutland ended up in North
Africa and the early migration of the Cimbri from Jutlandic
Himmerland is an example of several Germanic tribes migrating
over very long distances.

Gothically

Bertil Haggman