[gothic-l] Athanareiks = Heidrek?

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 1 14:41:19 UTC 2000

>From: "M. Carver" <matt at invisionstudiosinc.com>
>To: <gothic-l at egroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Athanareiks = Heidrek?
>Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 03:35:26 -0700
>
>on 11/30/00 6:15 PM, Frank Kermes at gevurah at hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > What's the likelihood that "Heidrek" is the Old Norse form or syntagenym
>of
> > Gothic "Athanareiks?"
<snip>

>I'm not sure Frank, but the meanings are slightly different. Heidur, which
>means honor, were probably Go. hauhiþs "exalted" or similar. Athana- would
>be more related to atta, athala- "patrimonial inheritance" = inherited
>wealth or title. Go. has *aiza- "honor" cf. OE a'r and wulthu- though
>neither apparently occur in patronymic context.
>
>Matþaius

Hey, thanks.  I was thinking heuristically, and that medial voiced
consonants tend to disappear in Old Norse--then "Athanaric" may have become
"Atharic," (cf. "Atheling"), which is closer to "heidur" and at one point
one term may have been interchangeable with the other.

This isn't exactly Gothic, but I'm working on translating Hervararsaga ok
Heidreks, and as it deals with (in the later episodes) a war between Goths
and Huns, I was suspecting that it may be a late representation of some sort
of oral tradition regarding the prelude to the Terving migration into Rome.

Thanks,
Frank

eLerts