[gothic-l] Anagastes?

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Wed Dec 13 01:59:56 UTC 2000

on 12/12/00 7:26 PM, Frank Kermes at gevurah at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hey,
> Another name question . . .  Latin sources mention that the Roman Magister
> Militar in 470 (who revolts) is a Goth named "Anagastes."
> What would the Gothic form of the name be? (I can figure out "ana-," but
> "-gastes" has me baffled as a nymic theme.  Spirit/soul? [geist?])
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

This is Anagastus or Anagastes, Schoenfeld gives Anagasts, but according to
Koebler it is probably "ungermanisch" i.e. ungermanic. If Gmc. it could
conceivably be Anagasts, i.e. High-Spirit or Frenzy? This is pure
speculation. Of course there is a possibility that the name has been
recorded incorrectly, in which case the cause is completely lost. For
instance, we could have Hana-gasts "Chicken-spirit" or Anak-asts "Sudden
Branch", both equally ridiculous. Very probably from Greek.

Matþaius

eGroups eLerts