R: [gothic-l] Anagastes?

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 13 23:16:34 UTC 2000

"Terror of Chickens."  I like that.

That was the problem I was having with "-gast:" is it "*gaists?"  Is it
"gasts" spirit?  "Gasts" guest?  Is it even Germanic?  The "-es" suffix in
the sources confused me.  I'm not exactly sure how precise the Latin authors
were in their rendering of foreign names, but "gasts" would be the strong
masculine form, so would equate an "-us" most likey in Latin, correct?  The
"hlewangastas" inscription would seem to support the masculine inflection .
. .

But "Arbogast" shows up with the "-es" ending, too, doesn't he?

Too bad the Koebler that is supposed to be in my University's reference
library has been absconded with by some crazed philology student, or I could
do my own hunting.

A Greek name would probably simply be the most likely, considering the
period and circumstances--butit _looks_ so Germanic!

If it is "Ana" high "*gaists" frenzy, it could be a kenning for a wild horse
on the loose, say, a stallion (OE hENGeST . . .)  But of course that's just
my fancy.  I'll stick with "Hanagaists" and go scare some fowl.

Better that I take Koebler's "Ungermanische" suggestion . . .

Later,
Frank

Click here for more details: