[gothic-l] The Goths from Gotland -- and gothic proto-vikings..

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Dec 14 23:24:49 UTC 2000

>Anthony,
>
>Don't actually see a link here. The Scandinavians
>who travelled on the rivers of present Russia down
>to the Black Sea and to Arab countries were from
>Sweden, Norway and Denmark, as far as we can
>speak about states at this time. Varjagi, Varangians,
>Rus were the names of warrior-tradesmen coming
>from the other side of the Baltic Sea.
>
>Some sources regard Varangian as connected with
>the word for "oath" relating to the Varangian Guard
>in Constantinople, which originally were Scandinavians.
>
>In Novgorod (Holmgardr in Scandinavian) there was a
>permanent Varangian trading center located in the
>business area (torgovaja storona) of the city.
>
>One source is the German draft of a treaty with Great
>Novgorod dating from around 1229-1231. In it one reads
>"curia gotensium " (i.e. Gotskij dvor, Gothic court), an
>interesting tidbit, maybe something for our friends on the
>Gothic-L. Curia gotensium is followed by the words "cum
>ecclesia et cimiterium Sancti Olaui". There was obviously
>a St. Olaf Church in Great Novgorod.
>
>Gothically
>
>Bertil

Bertil,
What you are mentioning is "Gutagard" the Gotlandic trading place in
Novgorod with its church St Olof. The Gotlanders had the oldest trading hof
in Novgorod. The first Germans that for the first hundred years after the
treaty of 1161 between the Gotlanders and Henry the Lion travelled under
Gotlandic flag later obtained their own trading place "Petershof"
Tore

Click here for more details: