[gothic-l] MnE-Go Index to Koebler's GW (Progress Report)

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Sat Dec 16 02:42:38 UTC 2000

Hails!

As you may remember I was able to contact Brill's head of dept. of
publishing rights in USA and got the encouraging reply (which I append to
the end of this post). I have just mailed for hard copy as he therein
suggests and am finished with raw data entry, and have moved on. I am
currently wrapped up in a progressive largescale editing of the "MnE-Go
Index to Koeblers Gotisches Woerterbuch" which I hope to finish by the end
of jiuleis (mid-end febrauary actually is when i hope to be done) thereafter
to make it freely accessible to those wishing to use it. My gift to you ;)
If things turn out for the worse with Brill, then I may be forced to find
some loophole or other, but it seems we have good reason to expect agreeable
tidings.

-Matthew

-----------------------------

Mr. Carver,
I suspect it will be no problem; however, you should make your request in
(hard copy) writing. I will respond in kind. Then you'll have a legitimate
record of your request and my response.
Sincerely,
Patrick Alexander
Publishing Director
Brill Academic Publishers, Inc.
112 Water St., Suite 400
Boston, MA 02109

> TO: Whom it may concern
> RE: Request for Permission to Use Copyrighted Materials.
>
> I am the proud owner of a copy of Gerhard Köbler¹s Gotisches Wörterbuch,
> excellently published by E.J. Brill in 1989 (the ISBN is 90-04-09128-9). It
> is a well assembled reference volume, and useful to me in my studies of
> Gothic. I wish to express my gratitude to all involved in the publication.
> However, I wish to explain a problem that I have, and subsequently to
> propound a suggestion which I hope will not be found entirely disagreeable.
>     My interest in studies of Gothic has often led me to familiarize myself
> with the language. In pursuit of better understanding, it is customary that
> I (as well as others like myself) make exercises for composition in the
> language, and choose modern texts for practice in translation. This of
> course leads me to a singular difficulty in that, while all the vocabulary
> is well recorded in Köbler¹s Wörterbuch, it is listed in an order which
> benefits rather those seeking translation from Gothic to English. That is,
> it has been listed according to the Gothic, not the English.
>     For the sake of academic and private exercises, I wish to publish free
> of charge an index to be used in conjunction with the Gotisches Wörterbuch.
> This Index to Köbler¹s Gotisches Wörterbuch would contain all fitting Gothic
> entries of the dictionary as compiled and/or reconstructed by Köbler, but
> would be listed alphabetically according to the Modern English definitions.
> In this way, I and others with similar desire would be able to consult the
> index and find the proper Gothic translation of the Modern English word
> needing translation.
>     It is therefore that I request permission to create the above-described
> index and to publish it and disseminate it for the sake of myself and others
> to use in conjunction with the Gotisches Wörterbuch.  My interest is wholly
> scholastic and philanthropic and I seek no personal monetary gain, noteriety
> or credit for the work; on the contrary, the creation and publication of
> this Index would be at my own expense and no compensation is to be asked in
> exhange therefor, nor would it be accepted. All credit would be duly
> attributed to Brill¹s Köbler¹s Gotisches Wörterbuch.
>     Please thoughtfully consider this request and inform me of your
> decision. Thank you for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
>     Matthew Carver

Click here for more details: