[gothic-l] Marcomannic Challenge in _Gladiator_

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Jul 1 16:45:04 UTC 2000

Francisc,

Do you have the complete text of the challenge?
The screenplay has been published as a paperback
and there is also an offocial book on the movie itself.

When I saw the film my first reaction was that
it was a Hollywood produced "language" with
a mixture of old Germanic languages. This was
the case in the movie "The Thirteenth Warrior".
The challenge as such is possibly based on
an historical Ostrogothic incident in the fateful
battle of Taginas (Tadinae) waiting for 2 000
Ostrogothic cavalry rode between the battlelines
performing a weapon's play on a shining horse
in a shining suit of armor. He threw his lance
high in the air and caught it in the middle of the
shaft. It is said that his play continued all through
the morning and that he offered to negotiate with
the the Bysantian commander, Narses, who refused.
The battle resulted in a fateful defeat for the
Ostrogoths in 552 AD, if I remember correctly.

There are similar challenges recorded in Iron Age
Scandinavian battles. If I remember correctly there
is also a painting (Norwegian),I think, of a king
challenging the hostile army.

Gothically

Bertil