[gothic-l] Language change.

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jul 17 06:46:17 UTC 2000

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Nathan Bellomy-McKnight wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, here's a question that should show my ignorance of germanic
> languages, and linguistics in general:  Is it possible to predict in a
> general sense how Gothic might have developed had it survived to the
> present. Perhaps by analogy to other modern germanic languages, you
> could guess at whether it would have experienced certain phonological
> changes &c. Or is language change too much an internal process to spot
> trends across languages. Aren't there examples of forms that have been
> lost in many languages over time (I'm thinking here of dual forms and
> things like the subjunctive mood)? Can language contact spread such
> changes across linguistic borders?
>      Or, if that approach isn't useful, perhaps one could look to
> Crimean Gothic to get ideas. Is de Busbecq's record detailed enough for
> such a venture, or are there any other extant records of this dialect?
>
> Best,
> Nathan (Naþan?)

I also proposed sometime to look to Crimean Gothic, but it seems that this
idea had not much popularity among the members of this list.

Francisc

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: