[gothic-l] Word Study : Directions

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Fri Jul 21 00:59:48 UTC 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, M. Carver wrote:
> Wespero-, Evening, night. I. Reduced form *wes- 1. Suffixed form
> *wes-to- in Germanic *west- II. Possibly Gmc. *wis- in Late Latin
> Visigothi "West Goths". (despite possible evidence for *wisi-, "good")

I've heard that *wisi- may stand for "small". So visigothi are
"small goths".

And, I've heard that Ostrogoths means "shining" (ilustres, good,
outperforming)
 goths.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Bilbo's First Law: You cannot count friends that are all packed up in barrels.