[gothic-l] Re: Name origin and meaning

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 2 19:03:03 UTC 2000

<<>

>"Entirely"? Icelandic have some words of non-germanic origin, like

>"bíl" (bílur?) for "car".

It is 'bíll' in the nominative ('bilur' is Faroese).

M.Sn.>>

    This still begs the question: if bíl is not Germanic, then what the heck
is it? I'm guessing it's short for automobile?

    (Though we're straying here, this is still pretty topical to the list, as
knowing how the Icelanders get around borrowing can be of use for Gothic.)

IUSTEINUS