[gothic-l] Name origin and meaning

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Sat Jun 3 23:01:10 UTC 2000

Hails! my enthusiastic fellow Gothic-listers!

I have just returned from a vacation back East only to find my box
filled with this peculiar thread (I was unable to check mail online for
a few days). I think that this is very relevant to Germanic studies in
contemporary society. Many factors may contribute to this confounding
inability to convince the increasingly popular cadaver-imitating "goths"
subculture that said subculture did not indeed invent the term Goth.
Thank you all for helping to clarify on list. Albareiks, I can very much
sympathize with the frustration. It was because of this frustration and
in order to direct more easily would-be subscribers to their true
desire, that I introduced to Gothic-L in the welcome response letter a
request for personal info / self-introduction as the new subscriber's
debut post so that I could more easily separate the wheat from the
tares, as it were. Alas, it is extremely difficult to do anything like a
remedy or removal once someone has become socially engaged with the
group by virtue of emails, such as those pleading for assistance. These
pluck my heartstrings, moisten my cheeks and make me eager to divulge
the information, but also wary of allowing the same subscribers to
continue in their deceived state. On my new site I have attempted to
reform the name (a sort of derrida "differance") to Got/Gotish (Gottish?
Gotch?). But this is completely unhelpful to most scholars, who would
execute searches using the vague but customary term. An FAQ page/email
might be a good start. Any other suggestions to improve the list would
be greatly appreciated.

sincerely,
your friendly administrator,
Matþaius

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: