[gothic-l] Re: Name origin and meaning

sverre_johnsen at HOTMAIL.COM sverre_johnsen at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 4 23:40:48 UTC 2000

> You're right, Sverre!!  There are some foreign words in Icelandic,
such as
> "bill", which is derived from automoBIL, and "stræti" which most
probably
> comes from Danish "straede",

Oh come on! That has got to come from Old Norse "stræti", which is
a loan from Old English "stræt", which again is a loan from Latin
"strâta via".

>and "vagn"  which comes from Danish "vogn",

I would say it comes from Old Norse "vagn".

>However,
> word borrowings from foreign languages into Icelandic are rare
indeed, and
> Icelandic has an aversion toward borrowings.  In fact, virtually
all
> scientific vocabulary in Icelandic (medical, engineering, physics,
etc.) is
> homemade, i.e., inherently Icelandic,  a phenomenon unheard of in
the
> linguistic world!

That's precisely why Icelandic is so lovely!

Sverre

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.