[gothic-l] Ic. "Bill" & Relevance

David Salo dsalo at SOFTHOME.NET
Wed Jun 7 01:06:19 UTC 2000

>Perhaps someone could reconstruct a Proto-North-Germanic form for this word,
>and then from there we could reconstruct the Gothic ;)

   Well, if the Romans had cars, and called them "automobiles", (which they
certainly would not) then the Goths might have calqued an awkward form like
*silbagaggands; or they could have borrowed the word, doubtless as
*awtaumobilus, pl. *awtaumobileis, and then could have clipped it to
*bilus, pl. *bileis.
	"bíll" on the other hand, if an original Icelandic form, would
perhaps reflect *bîlaz or *bîliz = Go. *beils.
	I'd prefer *karrus to both. :)

/\     WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
\/            WRAIQS NU IST                               <> David Salo
<dsalo at softhome.net> <>

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: