[gothic-l] Names and family relation in Gothic

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Jun 7 08:21:08 UTC 2000

Mike Adams wrote:

> I remember someone may have once had a list of Gothic
> names. Anyone have a list/info sheet on how they did
> family names? Amaling and what else?
>
> Morgoth

My fledgling webpage on Gothic names can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/gothnames.html
though it is only a beginning and I hope to expand it
greatly as I gather more information.

Family names (or clan/tribe names) like Balthing and
Amaling are quite rare but may be a reference to an
ancestor.  The '-igg' ending would have been used in
Gothic and the first elements in these two examples
would have been '*Amala-' (effort?) and 'Baltha-'
(bold).
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill
Tasmanian Devil

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: