[gothic-l] Re: Name origin and meaning

Joris Van Looveren joris at ARTI.VUB.AC.BE
Tue Jun 13 08:23:39 UTC 2000

jdm314 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/9/00 4:53:52 PM, you wrote:
> <<The French also seem to abhor borrowings. Of all the languages that I am
> somewhat familiar with, it is the only one whose word for 'computer' is not
> 'computer'.
>
> Not that it's relevant, but I can think of another. In Modern Hebrew, the
> word is m at khashev (@ = schwa), a "deverbative" noun from the root *k-sh-b
> meaning "to think"

Couldn't resist :)

German: Rechner
Swedish: dator

and I guess there are some more (Icelandic). But it is true that the
French Academy always tries furiously to make the public accept a
"native" word.

Joris Van Looveren

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: