[gothic-l] Re: Name origin and meaning

M. Carver mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Tue Jun 13 18:14:49 UTC 2000

James Jones wrote:

> > jdm314 at aol.com wrote:
> > > In a message dated 6/9/00 4:53:52 PM, you wrote:
> > > <<The French also seem to abhor borrowings. Of all the languages that I
> am
> > > somewhat familiar with, it is the only one whose word for 'computer' is
> not
> > > 'computer'.
> > >
> > > Not that it's relevant, but I can think of another. In Modern Hebrew,
> the
> > > word is m at khashev (@ = schwa), a "deverbative" noun from the root
> *k-sh-b
> > > meaning "to think"
> >
> > Couldn't resist :)
> >
> > German: Rechner
> > Swedish: dator
>
> German is "der Computer", is it not? At least alternately?
>
> - James

The popularly cited Icelandic word is to:lva.
NHG Rechner is calculator, no?

You might check the gothic-l database.
I believe there are some entries or at least one for
computer, e.g. garahnj-, rahneis...

Cheers,
Matþaius

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: