[gothic-l] Saturday

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 15 16:41:35 UTC 2000

In a message dated Thu, 15 Jun 2000  2:56:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Francisc Czobor <czobor at cantacuzino.ro> writes:

<<
But we have "sabbato" or "sabbato-dags" attested in the Silver Bible,
isn't it?
Regarding other expressions for the days of the week, from the Gothic
loanwords in Old Bavarian they could be reconstructed also:
*Areis-dags or *Ariaus-dags for Tuesday (<Greek Areos hemera)
*Pintadags for Thursday (<Greek pempte: hemera)
*Paraskaiwen-dags for Friday (<Greek paraske:ue:) >>

Interesting. Now what's this about Gothic loanwords in Old Bavarian? I haven't heard about this before.