[gothic-l] Directions

Sollers sollers at PEMMADDISON.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Thu Jun 22 19:32:58 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben van Poppel <benny at NETSPACE.NET.AU>
To: <gothic-l at egroups.com>
Sent: 22 June 2000 11:39
Subject: [gothic-l] Directions

> I can't remember if this question has been asked on the list or
> not. I can't find the Gothic words for the cardinal directions in my
> lexicon. I can definitely guess at what they might be. So far I've
> got:
> north: norths (norda-, northa-)
> South: suths (suda-, sutha-)
> east: a'usts
> west: wests, wai'sts
>
> Adjectives: a'ustaleiks, etc.
> east of: a'ustana +gen.
> From the east: a'ustaro' (?)
> To go east: a'ust gaggan/du a'usta gaggan.
>
> Could someone please clarify?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

Given close contact between Goths and Romans, it might be worth bearing in
mind that the Greeks and Romans didn't "box the compass" like we do - they
didn't halve each angle into North-East, South-East etc.  The divisions were
more like the clock face, sort of East of North, then North of East, South
of East, East of South etc, and apart from North, South, East and West they
used the names of winds.  Is it possible the Goths did something similar?
> SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
> Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: