[gothic-l] Armalist

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba algaba at GMX.NET
Wed Nov 1 00:24:22 UTC 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Bertil Häggman wrote:

> There is also the Armalist for people interested
> in the Roman Army and arms. Sometimes I
> participate just to annoy the admirers of the
> Roman empire and its soldiers pointing out
> how Germanic peoples successfully defeated
> Roman legions in guerrilla warfare. Also how
> Rome was sacked several times by Germanic
> armies. It always causes a stir.

Well, I always remember some things about Germanic-Roman wars:
- The extermination of Teutons in Aquila Sextiae (Aix) I century
B.C. by Mario ?
- How Caesar convinced his soldiers when they were afraid of the
height and fierceness of Germani. He just told them to fight
as always they'd done: grouped and structured.

Romans were far superior to Germanic people. But entropia is
entropia, sooner or later the pool of entropia, that East Europe
was, broke the order of the Roman Empire.

When Germanic people learned how to fight, like Danes in the IX
century, in real armies, they were able to conquer Britain.

Don't compare Romans of the V century A.D. with Romans of II B.C. .

---
Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

eGroups eLerts