[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea (MYHA)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 1 10:16:44 UTC 2000

This proposition would be supported by the fact that the Russian word
for helmet, 'shlem' (I hope my transliteration is vaguely correct) is
likely of Germanic origin. See German 'Helm'. On the other hand it
worries my a bit that a word similar to mekeis or myha does not seem
to appear in other Germanic languages for sword, and given that
according to Vernadsky the Anti were famous for their swords (Beowulf
quote) a borrowing into the Gothic language should be considered.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> I think that the Russian metsh' "sword" is of Gothic origin (there
are
>  a lot of Gothic or other Old Germanic loanwords in the Slavic
> languages). But the Crimean myha, with the evolution long [e] > long
> [i] and k > h (facts that occure also in other Crimean Gothic
words),
> looks rather like a regular evolution of Go. mekeis than a borrowing
> from Russian.
>
> Francisc
>
> GUTANI WIHAILAG
>

> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> > For supposedly Crimean Gothic myha = sword (Gothic, mekeis) a
slavic
> > origin could be possible. In Russian a sword is called metsh,
which
> > does sound similar to myha.
> > Dirk

eGroups eLerts