[gothic-l] Gotland, etc

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Fri Nov 3 10:21:37 UTC 2000

  Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at swipnet.se> wrote:-
> Here comes the first part of Guta lagh:
> Guta Lagh
> 1. Hier byrias lagh guta oc segia so at fyrstum
> Thitta ir fyrst upp haf i lagum orum thet wir sculum naicca haithnu oc
> iatta crisnu. Oc troa allir aann guth alzvaldanda. Oc hann thar bithia thet
> hann unni os ar oc frith sigr oc hailsu Oc thet et vir magin halda
> cristindomi orum Oc tro vari retri oc landi oru bygdu Oc vir magin huern
> dag thet sysla i allum giarningum Oc vilia orum. sum guthi sei dyrth i Oc
> or sei mest tharf at bethi til lifs oc sialar.

  It looks most like Old Norse to me. E.g. for "and" it has {oc} and not
{jah}. I still say that the Goths likeliest spoke Common Germanic when they
left Scandinavia and the characteristic features of Wulfilan Gothic developed
during their migrations. E.g. what is the Gotlandish word for "egg", or for
other words where Common Germanic had {-jj-} between vowels?

  Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote (Subject: Proposal for Germanic
History List):-
> ... My suggestion for name is exactly that: Early Germanic History-L.

Preferably with minuses or underlines instead of spaces. Emailers don't like
spaces in email addresses and web addresses.

   Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote (Subject: Book Review II - The Goths):-
> Next review section: Why did the Goths migrate?

Likeliest due to overpopulation.