[gothic-l] Scandinavian Origin of theGermanic Peoples; Gutiska or Gautiska?

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Nov 3 08:04:42 UTC 2000

>Dear compatriot Tore!
>
>What is your agenda??
>
>Tore Gannholm wrote:
>
>> Gotland and Sweden are two different cultures.
>
>That's plain [male cow's manure].
>
>> Gotland had nothing to do with Sweden until it became a Swedish colony
>>in 1679.
>
>Worse still. Statehood as we know it, i. e. administrative controle over
>some defined territory,never existed up till
>or beyond viking times. Most scholars seem to agree that the former petty
>kingdoms of Westergotland (Västergötland),
>Eastergotland (Östergötland) and the suetjodinar (the sueoni peoples on
>the shores of Lake Mälaren and the plains of
>Uppland plus more) were united in much the same way as Wessex, Essex,
>Northumbria in England under one king and the
>former lesser kings reduced to earls (=jarls in Scandinavia). With time
>power shifted and the kingship alternated
>between the feuding constituent dynasties of the federation.
>Archeological finds from neolithic times witness to the fact that Gotland
>and Sweden were in close contact and
>Gotland was indeed one of the most important trading places in the Baltic
>through "roman iron age".

During viking
>times the Swedes opened up an important trade route between the "Orient"
>(Caspian and Black Sea cultures), which
>innumerable coin hordes testify to. Part of this trade was the trading
>station of Gutenhof in Novgorod that was run
>from Gotland.

Not the Swedes!! It was the Gotlanders. Further the place in Novgorod was
by the Gotlanders not the Swedes.
I am sorry your history is very confused. That is the way it was earlier
presented in Swedish history books.
You can see a parallell between how the Russians presented the Baltic history.
Pure political propaganda.

>In the course of time Gotland became more and more involved in Swedish
>affairs and, finally it became an integral
>part of Sweden in the 13th century but was already since the 12th century
>under the diocese of Linköping in
>Ostergotland (and still remains).

This is nonsens. The Gothlanders had an agreement with the Bishop in
Linköping that he should do what the Catholic church required, but he had
no power in Gotland. Various times he complained that he was excluded from
appointing priests. This was all done by the Guthnal thing.

I think you should read the Gotlandic history "Gotland Östersjöns pärla,
Centrum för handel och kultur i östersjöområdet uder 2000 år".

>It is true that Gotland had its own Gutalag and its own jurisdiction but
>so had Westergotland and
>Eastergotland too!
>It was the Danish king Atterdag who laid seige to Visby and seized the
>island 1361
>In 1394 the piratical Vitalii Brotherhood were able to oust the Danes out
>of Visby but the German Order were able to
>free it four years later 1398.
>Sweden entered a volontary union with Denmark and Gotland was returned
>under Queen Margareta 1408 but then the whole
>island was impoverished and the Visby Castle became a center for outright
>sea piracy even under the succeeding Erik
>of Pomerania.
>The Swedes revolted under Gustav Vasa and broke up the union with Denmark.
>It proved however difficult to gain
>Gotland back and Gotland had even to be formally ceded to Denmark in the
>treaty of Stettin 1470.
>It was not until 1645 and the treaty of Brömsebro that Gotland was
>returned to Sweden.

How can something be returned to Sweden that never have belonged ot Sweden????