[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Nov 3 11:02:16 UTC 2000

>Hi, below are the answers given to me by Prof. Elert a Swedish
>linguist about the problem of the origin of Germanic/Proto-Germanic.
>(the numbered questions are from me, the answer/view below was given
>by Prof. Elert).
>
>> Dear Dr. Dirk Faltin,
>My answwers to your questions:
>>(1)  I would like to know if the the whole text is available in
>English?
>Answer: No.
>>
>(2) Can you clarify for me when, in your view, the settlement of
>Germanic/Proto-Germanic people of  Scandinavia started?
>
>My view is that the spread of the Germanic language took place in
>1000-500 BC, most likely around 700 BC. I would not use the word
>"settlement" . There is no reason to assume an invasion or massive

This fits very well in with the archaeological finds in Gotland. A new
unique burial way is introduced in Gotland at that time, the stone settings
"Skeppssättningar" in form of a ship. This type monuments are unique for
Gotland and some smaller Gotlandic colonies around the Baltic. The
immigration is clearly from the east.

It is obvious that the immigrants in this case have introduced their own
language. not accepted the old languge.

I can recommend "Guns Germs, and Steel, The Fates of Human Societies by
Jared Diamond"
Tore

eLerts