[gothic-l] Name of the Semnones"

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 5 04:15:47 UTC 2000

I have a linguistic question here . . .  I'm trying to figure out an East-
(or West, for that matter) Germanic reconstruction for the name Tacitus
gives as the "Semnones."  I was thinking, that since he uses "Suiones" for
the Swedes, and the ON name is Svear, that the E. Germanic (Gothic)
equivalent would be Sve()as (?)--though there is probably some kind of
intervocalic component that I'm missing.

I'm also latiniacally challenged, but the -ones ending sames to be the
entire Latinate inflection, correct?  Would that make the stem Semn- or
Semn(j)/(w) (+ inflection)?

Thanks
Frank

http://profiles.msn.com.